Friday, February 4, 2011

Custom Mosaic Edging

I have been working on the edging for the last two days for the custom mosaic.  I don't usually do edges in tiles because they have a tendency to pop off,  however, that is what my customer wanted so that is what I am doing.

I start by setting the mosaic on the floor with one side up and glue down the tiles, careful to keep the spaces even.  Once that takes hold (about an hour) I glue the tiles to the top edge.
This will have to set overnight before I chance moving it.  Those steps are repeated with the other side and bottom of the base and another night of drying.


My next step is to glue down the blue border (top) tiles so that I know exactly where they will line up as I want to be sure the design tiles lay close in to the border tiles.  If I need to add some pieces or trim some I can do that before I glue it all down.  One of the reasons I don't start out with this step is because they can easily pop off or chip (since they are made of glass) when they aren't grouted.  I prefer to get the majority of the design finished without that concern.

This should be completed by tonight as I don't have a lot left to do on the design itself.

Almost ready for grouting!

In the meantime I have been playing around with some mirror tiles and various shapes and sizes of purple tiles for a piece to sell in my shop.  This is a work-in-progress photo. I plan to grout it in black to make all the mirror tiles "pop".

Until Next Time. :)

2 comments:

Tins and Treasures said...

Hi, Chris,
Oh, how you tease us with pictures of that beautiful cruise ship. We can dream, can't we?!

I have been following your steps of your latest custom creation. You are amazing.

Happy Weekend ~Natalie

p.s. I found the links to rejoin the DSG team. There have been a lot of changes...and I keep getting lost!!

Christine Burgess said...

Thanks for stopping by Natalie. Hope you have a good weekend too.
See you in the DSG thread.