Friday, October 23, 2009

Memories and Inspiration

We all have memorable times in our lives and I would bet most of you have little items throughout your home that you cherish because it recalls a memory of a time that has passed. It could be a photo of your parents or maybe a dish you received from your grandmother. It might even be a drawing one of your kids made that's hung up on the fridge. We all have personal keepsakes of some kind to remind us of the good times in our life.

Many of my personal keepsakes are in the room where I do all my creating. I love to be surrounded by them and it gives me a smile each time I look at one of these very special pieces so I thought it might be fun to share some of them with you.

This is a purchase I made at the "Williraye Studio" when my husband and I went on vacation with our friends in 1992. We did a 10 day trip to see New York and Pennsylvania.
This is a caricature of my son, Justin, when we stayed at the Excalibur Hotel in Las Vegas when he was about 9 years old. He still has the hat he wore. I remember how excited they were on that day because Michael Jackson was there and they got to see him up close as he played one of the games in the arcade area of the hotel.

These are cutouts of my sisters and I (I am on the left) that an artist did for us when we went to a fancy Mexican restaurant in California, where I grew up. Even as young as I was I still remember thinking "this guy is fast", because he whipped all three of these out in about 20 minutes. Amazing!


This is my hand print taken in 1963. This was a popular trend when I was young.



My older son, Travis drew this tree with the birds in it when he was just 6 years old. I saved it because I was so amazed that he could draw so well at his age. To this day he still loves to draw and has a wonderful imagination.



Travis bought this doll for me about 8 years ago to go in my "Titanic" room. I am an avid collector of the original Titanic memorabilia and he thought this doll's costume represented what they might have worn in that era.
I have many more wonderful pieces around my home and in my studio room but I just wanted to share a few of them with you.
Next time you walk through your home take a moment and really look at some of the keepsakes you have and see if you can recall a memory of the past.

1 comment:

audreyscountrycrafts said...

You have wonderful pieces! Love your son's drawing, that is very good! Did notice that your hubby is only one year younger than me.