Sunday, March 22, 2009

Don't Lose Your Passion

I have been reminded lately that I may be losing some of the passion I once had when I first started doing mosaics nearly 7 years ago. We get so caught up in whether our pictures are bright enough or big enough or clear enough. We start second-guessing our talents and change things to accomodate what we think the buying public would want. We spend hours promoting our shops, our blogs, our websites. We facebook, twitter, flickr, etc. etc., until we certainly must be spending more time in front of the computer than we do in front of our own family.
Don't get me wrong, I know these things have to be done to do business online, but I never want to lose the passion that got me started in the first place. You know---the feeling that you just couldn't sleep because ideas kept popping up in your head and you couldn't wait to try them out. The drive so intense that you skip dinner altogether and don't even want to come out of your studio or craftroom. Your house looks like bedlum because you just can't pull yourself away from your creative zeal to do the mudane things like housework.
That is what I don't want to lose. I can't say I wouldn't mind a tempered version of it, as I am not getting any younger and I need my full 8 hours sleep a night, but having creative juices flowing through my veins keeps me alive. Keeps me getting up each day to tackle something new.
Let us never lose our passion as we lose a part of ourselves in the process..
I

4 comments:

Fashionably Adorned said...

Amen sista!!
I hope I will always be creative and hand these skills down to my children,,, if they want to learn..I wish I would have started yrs ago, but no time like the present..
sherice

Mary Ann said...

I totally agree. I was just thinking about this the other day. It seems that I spend so much time "promoting" that I don't create as much.

mj mosaics said...

Beautifully said! I agree.

Kenna Elizabeth said...

Definitely with you on this one! I keep trying to find the balance between all the flickr, blog, twitter, etc... networking sites and actually CREATE and get outside and photograph (or get away for a day here and there to shoot some beauty). The trip you saw on my blog was the first I'd been to the ocean in... well, a while obviously (despite the fact that it's only 2 hrs away). It's very easy to get feeling too "tied up" by all the online "to-do" sites and lose the balance (and, hence, the passion). This post was a great reminder (I'm glad it's not just me feeling it). ;)