Monday, March 7, 2011

Back to Basics

When I first started doing mosaics I would take floor tiles and place them between 2 towels and smash them with a hammer.  The shards were then placed on the table, or whatever I was working on, and pieced together like a large puzzle.

That was over 10 years ago.  Since then I have purchased a few tools and have learned some tips and tricks along the way, however, I have decided to go back to the basics and make a few mosaic mirrors using a similar method.

This is my current project.  It is 24"x24" with an  8"deep set beveled mirror.  I liked the fact that it was more or less ready to mosaic. It does have writing on it but the surface is flat and the tiles should adhere without a problem.  I am using a regular tile adhesive rather than the Weldbond use for the dish tiles.
The tiles I chose are smaller than I would normally want since it's easier to break up the big ones, but the colors were so unusual that I just had to get them.  I also ran across these wonderful 1"transparent glass tiles in the same watery blues and greens that are in the tile pattern.   My plan was to keep it simple and let the tiles speak for themselves.
 I still have about a third  of the mirror left to do but I hope to be grouting soon.  I think I will  use a linen color as stark white might be more of a contrast than I want. 

I will post a photo of the finished piece.

Until Next Time :)

No comments: