Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Green Thumb, Not so Much

Living in Florida has certainly been a challenge for my husband and I when it comes to the landscape. You would think that just about anything you planted would grow like crazy with the perpetual rains and the tropical weather. Not so.

We have lived in this house for 5 years now and I can't count how many times we have had to replace plants either from lack of proper minerals in our soil or complete burnout from the intense sun beating down on them all day. Of course, many times their demise is due to being such a tasty treat for the wildlife around here. Nothing is more frustrating than spending all day planting just to wake up and see all your hard work chomped up to little nubs.

So when we finally get a bloom from a new plant we tend to get excited. Especially when they are as beautiful as this Bird of Paradise .
I was out weeding, yet again, and noticed this lovely little bloom so I had to get a picture. This is located inside our birdcage in our backyard.

This is a much larger plant of the same variety that sits in front of our bathroom window facing the street. These truly are an extraordinary plant.

Since I was already out front I snapped a quick picture of these lovely pink blooms. They must not be on the diet plan for the deer and rabbits, or believe me, they would already be plucked clean.

The longer we live here the more educated we become on what and what not to plant. I think by our 6th year we might actually get the hang of it.



2 comments:

Audrey said...

Love the Bird of Paradise!! I don't think they grow up here - but I can't seem to keep flowers blooming all summer. I either forget to water them, or they get to much between me and the rain.

Unknown said...

It does take some trial and error unfortunately doesn't it?
lolo being from the desert, when I moved to Tacoma Wa - I was in a different world - I threw out a coleous - literally in the yard - it was on it's last legs inside - went out to where I had thrown it a week or so later and there it was growing like a weed!!!
The Bird of Paradise plants are wonderful and so is that sansevieria!
thanks so much for visiting my blog and leaving such a nice comment!