Friday, June 19, 2009

Remembering "Barbie"

My husband and I decided to go through all of our boxes from the attic and I came upon my Barbie collection that I have had for 47 years. This was the one doll that kept me occupied for hours and hours. I don't know if kids even play like they used to where all you have is a doll, some clothes, and your imagination. There was no car, no RV, modeling stage or beauty shop. None of the accessories you can find now.

Here is a long shot of some of the items I found. This doesn't even include my 2 skipper dolls and all of their clothes.


This is the case I carried my collection around in and amazingly it is still in pretty good condition.



This is a bendable leg Barbie made in 1958, oddly enough, in Japan. She still has her lipstick and nailpolish after all these years.



I must have been a bit of a rebel even back then as all my friends had "Ken", but I had to have his friend, "Allan" who dates back to 1960 and made in Hawthorne, California.


Here is a bit of a close-up of some of the outfits I owned. You can see that some are late 50's and early 60's style. What a hoot.


Look at the kelly green skirt with matching jacket and pillbox hat. The pictures are not very good, but you get the idea.


These wigs came with a different Barbie, but all I have left is the head. I must have just transferred the head when I wanted to wear a wig, but have no idea where the body went.


The red one is hardly used. I think it was called a "bubble cut".

I'm not sure what I'll do with all of this stuff. Maybe sell it or pass it down to my granddaughter who lives in Denver. I don't think anyone will appreciate it as much as I do because it is a piece of my childhood.















2 comments:

Jennie said...

Oh, don't sell those treasures! Surely your granddaughter will appreciate them! What a wonderful collection you have- and the memories are just priceless, aren't they?

Anonymous said...

Christine - why don't you use those items to make a scene like a roombox or shadow box. You could them save a piece of your past and display it. A lot of miniaturists that I know would love to have those items but they are part of your childhood and should be kept. A shadow box is easy to do - I am working on a backyard one right now.